Our Model Railroad
The Milwaukee and Northern Railway Historical Society (MNRHS), a.k.a. the Neenah-Menasha Model Railroad Club (NMMRRC), loosely models the Milwaukee & Northern in O Scale, primarily the Menasha Branch. The Menasha Branch, which runs from Hilbert Junction, Wis., to Menasha, Wis., was completed in 1871. The branch was extended to Appleton in 1880 and Neenah in 1881. Seeing as we do not have ample room to faithfully model the Menasha Branch in its entirety, a significant amount of artistic license, or modelers’ license, is applied to our model railroad.
Working on the (Model) Railroad
A facsimile of The Green Shack is being built at Neenah on our model railroad, as seen on 24 November 2021. The actual old tavern once stood next to the Wisconsin Central (WC) depot in Neenah, Wis. According to the Wisconsin State Historical Society property record for 427 Sherry St. in Neenah, “The Green Shack was built [in 1904] for William P. Quinn with proceeds of a benefit dance held on his behalf after a crippling railroad accident.” On our model railroad, it stands at the base of the huge smoke stack for the Bergstrom Paper Co. mill. Wally’s shirt is partially visible between the smoke stack and the paper mill. Photograph by Richard Hopfensperger.