The Milwaukee & Northern – High Cliff Spur
The M&N constructed a 2.13-mile spur from High Cliff Junction to the lime kilns at High Cliff, Wis., in 1891. High Cliff Junction was Milepost 7.3 on the Menasha Branch.
Looking east toward the Cook & Brown lime kilns at High Cliff, Wis., from a boat on Lake Winnebago circa the 1890s. The lime produced by these kilns was transported across Lake Winnebago by ships, and over land via the M&N. A couple of boxcars can be seen in the background. Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Historical Society.
Looking northwest along the former M&N Menasha Branch toward High Cliff Junction from Stommel Rd. at Town of Harrison, Calumet County, Wis., on 20 March 2021. The turnout was located approximately 900′ from the road. This line was originally laid by the M&N in 1871. It is currently operated by the Canadian National (CN). Photograph by Tom Bruss.