The Milwaukee & Northern Main Line – Schwartzburg Junction to Hilbert Junction – Plymouth, Wis.

Some historical information and photographs of Plymouth, Wis., on the main line between Schwartzburg Junction, Wis., and Hilbert Junction, Wis., will be included here, eventually. Romae non fuit dies.

Main Line - Schwartzburg to Hilbert - Plymouth
The former M&N main line at Plymouth, Wis., on 13 March 2021. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

A Wisconsin & Southern (WSOR) train, led by WAMX 3894 and WAMX 3895, approaches Thayer St. as it passes the former Milwaukee Road (MILW) depot at Plymouth, Wis., on 13 March 2021. The train has just returned from Sheboygan Falls and is transitioning from the former Chicago & North Western (C&NW) rails to the former MILW rails. The former C&NW depot is partially visible beyond the train. Both of these depots were built in 1912, after the earlier union depot was destroyed by fire. The C&NW depot has been a restaurant since 1973, currently home to PJ Campbell’s at the Depot. This portion of the former Milwaukee & Northern (M&N) main line was laid in 1871. The C&NW rails were originally laid by the Sheboygan & Fond du Lac (S&FdL) in 1859.

A Wisconsin & Southern (WSOR) train, led by WAMX 3894 and WAMX 3895, crosses Thayer St. via the former Milwaukee & Northern (M&N) main line at Plymouth, Wis., on 13 March 2021. The train has just returned from Sheboygan Falls. This portion of the former M&N main line was laid in 1871. The former Chicago & North Western (C&NW) right-of-way runs parallel on the other side of the train. Those rails were originally laid by the Sheboygan & Fond du Lac (S&FdL) in 1859.

Main Line - Schwartzburg to Hilbert - Plymouth
The former M&N main line at Plymouth, Wis., on 13 March 2021. Photograph by Tom Bruss.