Reminders of the Menominee Branch

The Milwaukee & Northern (M&N) constructed a 24.8-mile (some references state 23.9-mile) branch line from Ellis Junction, Wis. (now Crivitz, Wis.), to Marinette, Wis., and Menominee, Mich., in 1884. The branch is operated by the Escanaba & Lake Superior (E&LS or ELS), but most of it is currently used for car storage.

Escanaba & Lake Superior (E&LS) action at the former Milwaukee & Northern (M&N) yard at Menominee, Mich., on 2 November 2018. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

The Escanaba & Lake Superior (E&LS) crew prepares to park ELS 1201 (SW8) in the engine house at the former Milwaukee & Northern (M&N), later Milwaukee Road (MILW), yard at Menominee, Mich., on 2 November 2018. Iā€™m not sure when this engine house was erected, but it replaced the M&N roundhouse and turntable here.

An Escanaba & Lake Superior (E&LS) train, led by ILSX 1338 (SD40-2), crosses Hwy. 141 as it pulls some cars out of storage and into the former Milwaukee & Northern (M&N), later Milwaukee Road (MILW), yard at Crivitz (originally Ellis Junction), Wis., on 30 September 2014.

An Escanaba & Lake Superior (E&LS) train crosses Highway 141 via former Milwaukee & Northern (M&N) rails at Crivitz (originally Ellis Junction), Wis., on 30 September 2014. Photograph by Tom Bruss.