The Milwaukee & Northern Main Line – Forest Junction to Green Bay

The M&N began extending their main line north from Hilbert Junction, Wis., in 1872. Most of the 27 miles of grading and bridging had been completed by the end of the year. They started laying rail in the spring of 1873 and they reached Green Bay, Wis., on 6 June 1873. The first passenger train arrived on 19 June and scheduled train service began on 25 June. In 1874, the M&N constructed a bridge across the Fox River in order to extend their tracks from Green Bay into Fort Howard, Wis. The majority of this stretch of the main line, save 2 miles of track from the Hilbert depot to Ott Rd., is now the Fox River State Trail.

Forest Junction, Wis., was Milepost 88 on the M&N according to an 1873 timetable; it was Milepost 91 on later timetables.

Looking northeast along the Fox River State Trail, the former M&N right-of-way, at Forest Junction, Wis., on 17 May 2021. The diamond formed when the M&N crossed the Appleton & New London (A&NL), laid a year earlier, was at the center of this scene. The A&NL was soon sold to the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western (MLS&W). The union depot stood to the left, on the west side of the M&N and the south side of the MLS&W. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

Looking southwest along the Fox River State Trail, the former M&N right-of-way, at Forest Junction, Wis., on 17 May 2021. The diamond formed when the M&N crossed the Appleton & New London (A&NL), laid a year earlier, was near the far edge of the tree line at left. The A&NL was soon sold to the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western (MLS&W). The union depot stood to the right, on the west side of the M&N and the south side of the MLS&W. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

Holland Station, Wis., was Milepost 94 on the M&N according to an 1885 timetable.

Looking northeast along the Fox River State Trail, the former M&N right-of-way, toward Wayside Rd. at Holland Station, Wis., on 17 May 2021. Some old maps depict a siding along the west side of main line. The south turnout was right about here, the north turnout was beyond Wayside Rd. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

Looking southwest along the Fox River State Trail, the former M&N right-of-way, toward Wayside Rd. at Holland Station, Wis., on 17 May 2021. Some old maps depict a siding along the west side of main line. The north turnout was right about here, the south turnout was beyond Wayside Rd. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

Askeaton Station, Wis., was Milepost 96 on the M&N according to an 1892 timetable.

Looking northeast along the Fox River State Trail, the former M&N right-of-way, across Hill Rd./Hwy. Z at Askeaton Station, Wis., on 17 May 2021. Some old maps depict a siding along the west side of main line from Hill Rd. to a point midway between the road and the bridge for a tributary of the East River. The Askeaton Station depot was depicted on the east side of the main line near the north end of the siding. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

Looking southwest along the Fox River State Trail, the former M&N right-of-way, toward Hill Rd./Hwy. Z at Askeaton Station, Wis., on 17 May 2021. Some old maps depict a siding along the west side of main line from Hill Rd. to a point midway between the road and the bridge for a tributary of the East River. The Askeaton Station depot was depicted on the east side of the main line near the north end of the siding. This was the approximate location of the north end of the siding. Photograph by Tom Bruss.

De Pere, Wis., was Milepost 105 on the M&N according to an 1873 timetable; it was Milepost 109 on later timetables.

I believe that this is the original depot erected by the M&N at De Pere, Wis., ca. 1873. If it is, it was remodeled and expanded at some point. Photograph by Larry Easton, co-founder of the MNRHS.